Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Monday 29 August 2016

The 2016 Challenge, day 5: Killin to Fortingall (17)

Having a near-fatal experience can have a less than welcome effect on your emotional stability. As I made my way along the shore of Lochan nan Cat, I had two massive panic attacks. Both times I felt them coming on just in time to throw off my pack and drop to the ground, where I lay hyperventilating fit to burst. When I eventually regained control I was physically, mentally and emotionally drained. But I still needed to make it down to the road, and safety. I wanted to phone Challenge Control to report what had happened, but I had no signal on my mobile. So I gathered myself together again after each attack, shouldered my pack, and carried on.

The outflow burn from the lochan led me down to a weir and a little pool, at the confluence with a couple of other streams running off the mountainside, and from here there was a good, well-made track. After a couple of hundred metres there is a small cairn (pictured) marking the point where the path beside the Lawers Burn diverges, and I turned off onto this path.

No comments:

Post a Comment